Sunday 22 May 2011

Complaint to the BBC

A copy of my complaint to the BBC, regarding their slur on the Celtic Support during the Scottish Cup Final programme on 21st May 2011.

I would like to complain, in the strongest possible terms, about comments made by Rob McLean and Pat Nevin during half time in the Scottish Cup Final programme, pertaining to alleged "sectarian singing" by a section of the Celtic Support.
This allegation was baseless and unsubstantiated, yet was afforded a full discussion, effectively tainting the Celtic Support with unfounded accusations of sectarian behaviour. I would ask, under what authority Messrs McLean and Nevin commented on alleged singing, which they admit they didn't hear. McLean himself mentioned "reports from outside the ground". Is it BBC editorial policy to comment on and give credence to uncorroborated reports with no right of reply?
I also note that in response to previous complaints on alleged sectarian singing from the Rangers Support in the CIS Cup Final, made available to me, your department averred that  "...it is not and has never been custom and practice for our commentators to offer opinions on chants from the crowd. They are there to describe the game."
I would be grateful if you could point me in the direction of the editorial change to those guidelines - or clarify if they were in fact changed on a whim by a commentator. If the latter is true, I believe this calls the impartiality of said commentator into question.
I believe that the BBC, this season, are open to the allegation of having acted openly and clearly to an anti Celtic editorial line, devoid of any notion of neutrality. This allegation, given the above, was given further vindication during yesterday's programme.
As a licence fee payer and a Celtic Supporter, I would ask that Messrs McLean and Nevin apologise for clearly deviating from their remit as commentators and bringing your guidelines into disrepute. I would, further, request that a clear and unequivocal apology is offered to the Celtic Support for this groundless slur as a matter of urgency.
I look forward to your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment