Saturday 17 September 2011

A new beginning!

Today I began a new, and hopefully fruitful, chapter of my life as I attended the LL.B induction at Strathclyde University. I decided to walk to the University (about an hour’s walk from my house) as I wanted to clear my head and think about what lies ahead, not only over the course of the day, and over the course of the next year, but beyond.

It’s fair to say at this stage that my aspiration is to be a Solicitor. Now there are numerous avenues of law in which to practice although on my walk this morning I was thinking more along the lines of Criminal Law. Doesn’t everyone? It is probably the most reported area of law in the media and numerous television shows and movies have been made about courtroom dramas. However, I thought about the other areas in which I’m likely to be interested and the more I thought, the more I got excited. Whilst this is undoubtedly going to be challenging and incredibly time consuming, like everything else, if the work goes in then the rewards are boundless.

That said, I think it’s fair enough to suggest that my feet are well and truly on the ground in terms of my ambition and what I expect. My own financial outlay is considerable and therefore I feel more effort has to go in, in order to justify this expenditure. It’s a good focus point. Anytime I feel I may procrastinate I might just dig out the invoice! My social life is also going to take a hit. However, in the immediate short term (at least) it is my intention to keep a Saturday evening free. I work Monday to Friday and my classes are Tuesday and Thursday (6-8) together with Saturday tutorials. I’m not expecting (nor do I want) an easy ride.

So with all these thoughts twirling around in my head I entered Strathclyde University for the first time as a registered student and I was impressed. I was impressed by the staff, the dedication of the people who will teach me and mark my work. 

Thereafter, I left a lot more encouraged than I was before I arrived. That isn’t to say that I expect it to be easier. Far from it. However I am confident that as I put the hours in, the rewards in terms of grades will come naturally.

Moving on then, what awaits me over the next Semester? Well on Tuesdays, accompanied by a 169 page handbook) I’ll attend Criminal Law lectures. The details are on MyPlace and, geek that I am, I’ve already done some basic reading in preparation. I’m really looking forward to this course and just can’t wait to get started – although ask me about this in a month’s time! On Thursday, it’s Legal Methods.  I’m also looking forward to this class.

Overall then, I’m positive about this. I think I’ll learn a lot, not just about the law but also about the discipline of studying law – which is as much a motivating factor for me as anything else. I’ve always been struck by a lawyer’s attention to detail and their analytical mind. This is something I aim to learn and develop over time. I am also hopeful that I will acquire a more critical mind, but more than anything else I hope I build on my current skills and start to “think like a lawyer”.

Finally, the workload doesn’t frighten me or put me off. In fact I embrace it. I remember an episode of the west wing in which President Bartlett spoke of throwing a cap over an insurmountable wall – forcing yourself to either climb it or lose your cap. This is how I feel. Any procrastination or slacking will be ruthlessly exposed and I’ll fail – deservedly so! So I’m throwing my cap over the big wall and getting ready for a new, but exciting challenge in my life. I look forward to the new found knowledge, the experience and the new friends I hope to make along the way.

I hope you’ll share my journey with me, in the form of this blawg! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment